Monday 10 December 2018

Yesterday (Sunday) saw another Fromie dog-sledder, Jon, and I heading up to Cannock Chase in Staffordshire for a briefing day about our Arctic adventure. Some things were great:-

→we got to meet an Alaskan husky like the ones we will be learning to mush with - sounds like there might be five of them for my sled!
→ we had an exhaustive run through of all the kit we will need and what bits we get to borrow once we're in Norway
→ some of the other people there who are doing the challenge didn't even look as fit as me!!!

Things which weren't so great:
- we were talked at for three hours
- we didn't get to see the lovely Alaskan husky going for a run which I had hoped we might 

However, I feel an awful lot more like I know what to expect of camping out in the Arctic and of their contingency plans for the route if the weather comes in bad and we're in a white-out. Now I'm not feeling so daunted by that bit - instead I've shifted my worrying to controlling a pack of REALLY strong dogs on my own (I thought there were two of us to each sled, don't know why....)

1 comment: